EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (1-2) picked up its first win of the season, 2-1, over visiting Ferrum College (1-2) Wednesday evening at Fred Selfe Stadium.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 2, Ferrum 0
LOCATION – Emory, Va. – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS –Emory & Henry (1-2, 0-0 ODAC); Ferrum (1-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Senior Emily Welch (Pamplin, Va.) put the Wasps on the board at the 17:17 mark with a strike over the goalkeeper from the top of the box. Freshman Lexi DeMers (Palmyra, Va.) hit a looping ball over the top to set up the play.
- Senior Allie Hooper (Cosby, Tenn.) made it a 2-0 lead for E&H in the 40th minute as she hit a left-footed strike from the right side of the field, slipping it in under the crossbar. Freshman Makayla Carter (Lewisburg, W.Va.) was credited with the assist on the play.
- Ferrum came out of the half with a renewed intensity, and Payton Stuart put the Panthers on the board with a shot from the top of the box with 31:54 left to go in the match. Ae'Niesha Mar assisted on the score.
- Both teams had chances in the final half hour but the score would remain 2-1 in favor of E&H through full time.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Welch and Hooper provided the offense for the Wasps giving them their first two scores of the season. - Junior Clarissa Martin (Raleigh, N.C.) and freshman Ashley Love (Zirconia, N.C.) also had shots on goal during the contest.
- Junior Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) earned the win, saving five shots in her 90 minutes in goal.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Stuart had four shots to go along with her goal, coming off the bench.
- Alexis McCargo posted a match-high five attempts with two going on frame.
- Taylor Dodson made saves on two of the five shots for Emory & Henry.
A Deeper Look
- Ferrum took 16 shots on the day, compared to just five by Emory & Henry. The Wasps put four of their attempts on goal while the Panthers had six shots on frame.
- FC also held a 7-2 lead on corner kicks, five of which came after the intermission.
- The Emory & Henry defense forced Ferrum into an offside position nine times while the Wasp attackers remained disciplined in their runs.
- Emory & Henry picks up its first win over Ferrum since the 2012 season.
- With the victory, the Wasps tilt the all-time series with the Panthers in their favor, 9-8-2.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Friday when it welcomes Brevard College to Fred Selfe Stadium. Kickoff between the Wasps and Tornados is set for 7:00 p.m.
- Brevard, which is a member of NCAA Division II and the South Atlantic Conference is in the process of transitioning to Division III and the USA South Athletic Conference.
- This will be the first meeting between the two programs.
-photo courtesy of Caleb Johnston, E&H '15