EMORY, Va. – The Brevard College Women's Soccer Team (3-0) scored two goals in each half en route to a 4-0 win over Emory & Henry College (1-3) Friday evening at Fred Selfe Stadium.
FINAL SCORE – Brevard 4, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Va. – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Brevard (3-0, 0-0 SAC); Emory & Henry (1-3, 0-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Ashley Mevoli put the Tornados on the board in the 26th minute when she received a long free kick from Kathleen Gant and turned it into a 1-on-1 with the goalkeeper.
- Just over two minutes later, Brevard added to its lead when Anita Maryskova headed a throw to the near post. Alyssa Bois and Ashley Hughes assisted on the play.
- Caroline David made the score 3-0 at the 54:36 mark as she settled a loose ball at the top of the box and beat the goalkeeper to the right side of the net.
- Bois got on the scoring end of things with a turnaround strike from 20 yards out that found the bottom left-hand corner of the goal. Hughes got her second assist of the day.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior goalkeeper Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) had three saves in 76 minutes in net while sophomore Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) finished the game.
- Junior midfielder Kelsey Little (Raleigh, N.C.) tallied a shot on goal for E&H while senior midfielder Allie Hooper (Cosby, Tenn.) had a shot of her own.
Brevard Individual Leaders
- Maryskova had three shots, putting two on goal and scoring once on the evening.
- Bois had a goal and an assist while Hughes tacked on two assists in the match.
- Elisa Youmans picked up the clean sheet, making one save during her 90 minutes in goal.
A Deeper Look
- Brevard took 19 shots on the day, 12 of which came in the opening half, compared to just two by Emory & Henry.
- The Tornados also held a 6-4 lead on corner kicks, but were tied with the Wasps, 4-4 on corners in the opening 45 minutes.
- The Emory & Henry defense forced Brevard offside four times in the game while E&H attackers were called back twice.
- Friday's contest was the first meeting in program history between the two schools.
- Brevard, which is a member of NCAA Division II and the South Atlantic Conference is in the process of transitioning to Division III and the USA South Athletic Conference.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Greensboro College on Tuesday, to face off against the Pride at 4:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass