EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (2-4) scored twice within 2:10 to earn a 2-0 victory over Sweet Briar College (1-5) Saturday afternoon at Fred Selfe Stadium. Though the Vixens and Wasps are both members of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference, due to the 2016 scheduling matrix, the match was played as a non-conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 2, Sweet Briar 0
LOCATION – Emory, Va. – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-4, 0-0 ODAC); Sweet Briar (1-5, 0-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled to a 0-0 tie through the first 45 minutes of play. E&H had six shots in the first half, including three on goal.
- The Wasps got on the board at the 69:04 mark when sophomore midfielder Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) settled a loose ball at the top of the box, turned and struck it to the left side of the goal.
- Just 130 seconds later, Emory & Henry earned a corner kick. Freshman defender Lexi DeMers (Palmyra, Va.) served the ball up into the center of the six-yard box and found senior midfielder Samantha Sampson (Salem, Va.), who headed into the back of the net for a 2-0 advantage.
- E&H had several other chances in the second half to extend its lead, but its shots came to rest in the hands of the goalkeeper.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Hogg led the way with four shots putting all of them on goal including what would end up being the match-winner.
- Senior forward Emily Welch (Pamplin, Va.) and junior midfielder Christina Ameen (Sweetwater, Tenn.) also had four shots, both putting three of their attempts on frame.
- Sampson had two other shots in addition to her score in which DeMers earned her second career assist.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) picked up the shutout victory.
Sweet Briar Individual Leaders
- Caroline Thomas made 12 saves for the Vixens, playing the entire 90 minutes in goal.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry finished the match with a total of 21 shots, 14 of which were on goal. Sweet Briar failed to have a shot in the contest.
- The Wasps led the match, 10-0, on corner kicks, eight of which came before the intermission.
- Emory & Henry runs the series record against Sweet Briar to 17-3, winning 17 of the last 18 meetings and two in a row.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Sunday afternoon, hosting Milligan College at 5:00 p.m.
- The Wasps and Buffaloes have met twice in program history, both times in 1997 which was the inaugural season for E&H.
- MC holds a 2-0 record in the all-time series.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass