EMORY, Va. – The Milligan College Women's Soccer Team (4-2) used a pair of second-half goals to propel itself to a 2-0 win over Emory & Henry College (2-5) in rainy conditions Sunday afternoon at Fred Selfe Stadium.
FINAL SCORE – Milligan 2, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Va. – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-5, 0-0 ODAC); Milligan (4-2, 1-0 AAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled to a 0-0 tie through the first 45 minutes of play.
- E&H sophomore goalkeeper Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) made six saves in the first half, including a pair of impressive stops to keep the Buffaloes off the board.
- Brittany Davis put Milligan on the board at the 53:35 mark with a strike from the top right corner of the box as the rain and the second half began to settle in.
- Less than one minute later, the Buffs doubled their advantage with a goal by Bekah Cundiff. Amy Long served up a ball from the left side to find Cundiff running back post for a one-timer finish.
- E&H showed several chances in the final half hour to break through, but the final pass was not there on those occasions.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Liseski played all 90 minutes in goal, tying her career-high with eight saves.
- Sophomore forward Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) had the Wasps' lone shot on goal in the match, coming midway through the first half.
Milligan Individual Leaders
- Davis and Cundiff made the difference with their goals.
- Long added four shots including two on frame to her assist while Davis finished the match with three shots.
- Taylor Robinson and Charlotte Stephens split the contest evenly in goal with Robinson earning the win and Stephens making one save.
A Deeper Look
- Milligan outshot Emory & Henry 22-1 including a 10-1 margin on shots on goal.
- The Buffalos led the match, 6-2, on corner kicks, as both teams split their chances evenly over the two halves.
- It was just the third-ever meeting between the two schools and the first since 1997.
- The Buffaloes defeated the Wasps twice that year, which was Emory & Henry's inaugural season in women's soccer.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Wednesday evening at 6:30 p.m., when it hosts Eastern Mennonite University in a non-conference matchup.
- The Royals lead the all-timer series with the Wasps, 14-2-1, with E&H earning a tie in 2015 and a win in 2014.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass