EMORY, Va. – The Randolph College Women's Soccer Team (3-7-1, 3-3 ODAC) got the go-ahead goal in the 56th minute and was able to hold on through the final half hour to earn a 2-1 win over Emory &Henry College (4-10, 1-5 ODAC) Friday night in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph 2, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-10, 1-5 ODAC); Randolph (3-7-1, 3-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Sophomore forward Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) put the Wasps up 1-0 at the 23:29 mark with a turn-around shot at the top of the box. Freshman midfielder Makayla Carter (Lewisburg, W.Va.) picked up the assist on the play.
- Randolph responded 20 minutes later to equalize going into the half. Patricia Garrett served a ball in from the right side which found the feet of Delaney Doyle who hit a strike to the back post.
- Midway through the 56th minute, the WildCats made it 2-1 as Garrett got a goal of her own after a breakaway run down the right side.
- Both teams had chances in the final half hour to score, the closest being a shot off of a corner kick by Randolph in the 78th minute which hit the crossbar.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Hogg had a total of five shots (three on target) in the match as she netted her team-leading fourth goal of the year.
- Junior midfielder Christina Ameen (Sweetwater, Tenn.) and sophomore midfielder Robbie Rodemann (Evington, Va.) had three shots each while sophomore forward Lauren Fleming (Troutville, Va.) added a pair of chances.
- Junior Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) made eight saves, playing the entire 90 minutes in goal.
- Garrett led the way with six shots, a goal and an assist while Doyle scored on one of her four attempts.
- Three other WildCats managed a pair of shots each as both of Hunter Robinson's went on target.
- Quinn-Lynn Bates earned the win in net, making six saves.
A Deeper Look
- Randolph led the way in shots, 17-14, and shots on goal, 10-7, over Emory & Henry
- The WildCats took eight corner kicks, four in each half, compared to three by the Wasps.
- There was only one offside call made in the match, coming in the 29th minute, as RC was called for the violation.
- Emory & Henry will play the final leg of its three-match homestand on Wednesday as it hosts Roanoke College at 4:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass