EMORY, Va. – The Roanoke College Women's Soccer Team (7-5-3, 5-2 ODAC) scored three goals in each half as it defeated Emory &Henry College (4-11, 1-6 ODAC) by a 6-0 score Wednesday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – Roanoke 6, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-11, 1-6 ODAC); Roanoke (7-5-3, 5-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Sierra Lynn-Johnson got the scoring started just 96 seconds into the match as she headed in a flick-on from Linnea Kremer.
- The Maroons made it 2-0 at the 15:40 mark as Lynn-Johnson scored her second goal. Abbe Guarino got the assist after crossing the ball in from the left side.
- Lynn-Johnson put herself on the assisting end of the play, send a through ball to Kremer for the 3-0 score in the 22nd minute.
- Two minutes into the second half, Lynn-Johnson got the goal to earn the hat trick, heading in a corner served up by Guarino.
- Guarino scored just 18 seconds later on a pass ahead from Meagan Ryan to make the score 5-0.
- RC capped the scoring with 24:45 left to play as Taylor Sayegh found Laura Garbarini with a pass from the right side which she put to the back post.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Sophomore midfielder Robbie Rodemann (Evington, Va.) led the Wasps with two shots, putting one on goal.
- Junior defender April Yopp (Franklin County, Va.) junior midfielder Christina Ameen (Sweetwater, Tenn.) and junior midfielder Kelsey Little (Raleigh, N.C.) also had attempts on the day.
- Sophomore Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) played the first half in goal, making one save while junior Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) stopped three shots in the final 45 minutes.
- Lynn-Johnson led the way with three goals and an assist, taking four shots and putting three on goal.
- Guarino added a goal and two assists in the contest on two shots.
- Chris Martin and Caroline Liebel split the game in goal, combining for the shutout.
A Deeper Look
- Roanoke held a 15-5 lead on shots and a 10-1 margin on shots on goal.
- The Maroons took 10 corner kicks to one for the Wasps.
- RC attackers were called offside on six different occasions while E&H was flagged once for being too eager on the attack.
- Emory & Henry's next match will be on Saturday at Randolph-Macon College. Kickoff between the Wasps and Yellow Jackets is set for 11:00 a.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass