EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (3-7-1, 2-1-1 ODAC) scored six times in the opening 18 minutes en route to a 10-0 dismantling of Sweet Briar College (1-8, 0-4 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. The 10 goals are the most scored by the Wasps since beating Hollins University by a 13-1 margin in 2015.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 10, Sweet Briar 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-7-1, 2-1-1 ODAC); Sweet Briar (1-8, 0-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board at the 6:16 mark when senior forward Christina Ameen (Sweetwater, Tenn.) took a pass from freshman midfielder Taylor Vizconde (Chesapeake, Va.) and slotted it to the back post.
- The Wasps made it 2-0 just 36 seconds later as junior forward Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) converted a penalty kick.
- Vizconde pushed E&H's lead to 4-0 in the 15th minute scoring on a rebounded shot by Hogg and getting a turnover at the back line and finishing for her first collegiate goals.
- Sophomore forward Graysen Barrs (Abingdon, Va.) and sophomore midfielder Makayla Carter (Lewisburg, W.Va.) both earned unassisted goals in the 17th and 18th minutes, respectively for a 6-0 advantage.
- Another score from Barrs (27:29) assisted by sophomore midfielder Catherine Martin (Vinton, Va.) made it 7-0 at the half.
- Three second half goals by the Wasps coming from freshman forward Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.), freshman forward Sadie Burton (Pacolet, S.C.) and Martin contributed to the final 10-0 margin. Junior midfielder Robbie Rodemann (Evington, Va.), Vizconde and junior forward Lauren Fleming (Troutville, Va.) were credited with assists.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Vizconde had two goals and two assists on four shots to lead the way while Barrs scored a brace (two goals) on the day.
- Senior goalkeeper Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) made one save in the opening half and combined with freshman Kaela Schlevensky (Haymarket, Va.) to earn the team shutout.
Sweet Briar Leaders
- Caylin Newman had the Vixens' lone shot of the afternoon.
- Caroline Thomas and Sam Holton combined for five saves in goal for SBC.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry 33-1 on total shots and 16-1 on shots on goal.
- The Wasps took seven corner kicks to none for the Vixens and were called offside four times.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road Wednesday as it faces Hollins University in an ODAC contest at 6:30 p.m.
- The match will take place at Salem High School.