SALEM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (4-7-1, 3-1-1 ODAC) opened up a 4-0 first half lead, cruising to a 6-0 win over Hollins University (0-10, 0-5 ODAC) Wednesday evening in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference match. The Wasps make it back-to-back shutout wins for the first time since the 2011 season.
FINAL SCORE –Emory & Henry 6, Hollins 0
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Spartan Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-7-1, 3-1-1 ODAC); Hollins (0-10, 0-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry opened up a 2-0 lead in the first seven minutes of the contest, scoring on a pair of corner kicks. Junior forward Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) served up both balls, finding senior midfielder April Yopp (Franklin County, Va.) at the 1:04 mark for the first goal and connecting with sophomore forward Ashley Love (Zirconia, N.C.) for the second midway through the seventh minute.
- Senior forward Christina Ameen (Sweetwater, Tenn.) pushed the advantage to 3-0 midway through the half, collecting a rebounded shot by freshman defender Skylar Wall (Suffolk, Va.) and putting it in the back of the net.
- Just over two minutes before halftime, sophomore midfielder Brittany Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) received a corner from freshman forward Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.) and headed it in the net for a 4-0 lead at the break.
- Horner found Singleton again at the 75:07 mark for another corner kick goal and provided an assist with 1:36 remaining on sophomore midfielder Lexi DeMers' (Palmyra, Va.) tally which made the final score 6-0.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Singleton had two goals to lead the way for the Wasps' offensively.
- Horner tallied a trio of assists while Hogg put up two helpers on the night.
- Freshman Kaela Schlevensky (Haymarket, Va.) earned the shutout in goal, playing the full 90 minutes.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry led 49-0 on total shots, seeing 24 of its attempts go as shots on goals.
- The Wasps took a total of 25 corner kicks on the evening.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Friday evening for a key ODAC contest against Eastern Mennonite University.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Royals is set for 7:00 p.m.