EMORY, Va. – The No. 22 Lynchburg College Women's Soccer Team (13-1, 6-1 ODAC) opened up a 3-0 lead in the first half en route to a 5-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Emory & Henry College (4-9-1, 3-3-1 ODAC) Wednesday evening. The Hornets are nationally-ranked by the United Soccer Coaches (formerly the NSCAA).
FINAL SCORE – No. 22 Lynchburg 5, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-9-1, 3-3-1 ODAC); No. 22 Lynchburg (13-1, 6-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Hornets got on the board at the 7:44 mark of the match when Caitlin Mertens collected a loose ball inside the six-yard box and finished for the score.
- LC doubled the score late in the 14th minute when Emily Maxwell slotted a rebound off a shot home. Kennedy Jakubek was credited with the assist.
- Jakubek put her name in the scoring column just over 11 minutes later, finishing to the near post after taking a pass from Katie Waring.
- At the hour mark, the Hornets got another goal from Jakubek and made the final margin 5-0 with 10:30 left to play when Sarah Crider scored from 18 yards out on the left side.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Junior midfielder April Yopp (Franklin County, Va.) had two shots for the Wasps while junior forward Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) added an attempt.
- Senior goalkeeper Kayla Wright (Franklin County, Va.) made five saves, playing the final 73 minutes of the contest.
- Jakubek scored twice and assisted once on her five shots, putting three attempts on frame while Waring also had three strikes.
- Delia LoSapio was credited with the win in goal as the Hornets saw four players spend time between the pipes.
A Deeper Look
- Lynchburg outshot Emory & Henry, 20-3, putting 11 attempts on target.
- The Hornets took eight corner kicks during the contest and were called offside three times.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road for its next two matches.
- The Wasps will visit the Marlins of Virginia Wesleyan University on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.