SEWANEE, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Swimming Team earned a fourth-place finish out of eight competing teams at the 16thh Annual Sewanee Invitational this weekend. The Wasps earned 10 wins in the two-day, 21-event slate of races.
FINAL RESULT – 4th/8
LOCATION – Sewanee, Tennessee – Robert Dobbs Fowler Center Pool
- Friday's competition consisted of abbreviated events such as 50-yard distances of strokes, shortened relays and medleys. The 1650-yard freestyle was also contested during Friday's session.
- Senior Michaela Nolte (Hillsborough, N.C.) earned a win in the 50-yard breaststroke with a time of :31.07 and also took first in the 100-yard individual medley (1:01.09).
- Senior Jessica Richardson (Vero Beach, Fla.) bested the field in the 50-yard backstroke, stopping the watches in :28.18.
- The Wasps earned their first relay win of the event in the 100-yard freestyle relay. Richardson, junior Brianna Chessock (Winston-Salem, N.C.), freshman Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) and Nolte turned in a time of :48.01 to win the event by 0.41 seconds.
- Chessock took third in the 50-breast (:33.48) and was sixth in the 100-IM (1:05.48) while senior Jordan Greenburg (Cordova, Tenn.) was eighth in the 50-yard backstroke (:31.55).
- In the 1650-yard freestyle, Richardson clocked an 18:44.83 to finish fourth while junior Holly Roth (Albuquerque, N.M.) was sixth and senior Lauren Blakey (Davidson, N.C.) was ninth.
- The Wasps opened Saturday's competition with a fifth-place finish in the 200-yard medley relay (2:06.24). The relay consisted of Greenburg, Jones, freshman Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.), and senior Kia Hamilton (Memphis, Tenn.).
- Scarbrough went 5:14.61 in the 400-yard individual medley to take ninth place.
- Nolte was the runner-up in the 50-yard freestyle, swimming a :25.12, while Anson was sixth (:26.29).
- Richardson earned a win in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:00.33 while Greenburg was fifth in 1:05.87.
- Nolte placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke, clocking a 1:08.09 while Chessock was second in the race (1:11.81).
- Richardson won the 200-yard freestyle in 2:00.75 and added a first-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle (:55.24), while Roth was seventh in the 200-free finishing in 2:06.34. Anson went :56.76 in the 100-free to take fourth.
- Nolte swept the breaststroke events, clocking a 2:26.38 in the 200-breast while Chessock was third (2:36.89) and Scarbrough was ninth (2:43.16). Greenburg had a fourth-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke, going 2:20.32.
- Anson finished sixth in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 1:04.36 and Chessock placed fifth in the 200-yard individual medley (2:22.44).
- Emory & Henry closed the meet out by winning the 200-yard freestyle relay. The relay consisted of Richardson, Anson, Chessock and Nolte.
- Emmanuel College, a NCAA Division II program out of Franklin Springs, Georgia, won the team title.
- Birmingham-Southern College was second while host Sewanee was third.
- Emory & Henry will swim in its first dual meet of the season next Saturday when it travels to face Ferrum College at 4:00 p.m.