EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Swimming Team (2-0, 2-0 ODAC) won all 10 events for the second meet in a row, cruising to a 143-32 victory over Hollins University (4-2-1, 4-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon. The meet was the home opener for the Wasps, who spent the first month of the season on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 124, Ferrum 36
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Emory & Henry Aquatics Center at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-0, 2-0 ODAC); Hollins (4-2-1, 4-1 ODAC)
- E&H got things started with a win in the 200-meter medley relay. Senior Jordan Greenburg (Cordova, Tenn.), freshman Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.), freshman Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) and freshman Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) put up a time of 2:15.01 in the race.
- In the 200-meter freestyle, the Wasps went 1-2 with Greenburg swimming a 2:26.73 to win the event while junior Kelsey Jones (Roanoke, Va.) was second and senior Lauren Blakey (Davidson, N.C.) was fourth.
- Senior Michaela Nolte (Hillsborough, N.C.) was just .06 seconds off the school record in the 50-meter freestyle, stopping the watches in :27.93. Senior Kia Hamilton (Memphis, Tenn.) and Simmons made it a 1-2-3 finish for Emory & Henry.
- In the 200-meter individual medley, the Wasps got another 1-2-3 finish as Anson won the race in 2:35.31. Junior Brianna Chessock (Winston-Salem, N.C.) was second while Scarbough took third.
- Anson got back-to-back wins clocking a 1:12.81 in the 100-meter butterfly while junior Holly Roth (Albuquerque, N.M.) was second.
- Nolte led a clean sweep of the 100-yard freestyle, swimming a school-record time of 1:00.10 to beat her previous best by .49 seconds. Senior Jessica Richardson (Vero Beach, Fla.) and Hamilton took second and third, respectively for the Wasps.
- Greenburg earned her second individual win of the day with a time of 1:12.37 in the 100-meter backstroke while Simmons and Jones were third and fourth in the race.
- Richardson got an individual victory in the 400-meter freestyle as she went 4:58.69 while Roth was second in 4:59.90. Blakey finished fourth in the event.
- The Wasps continued their dominance in the breaststroke events as Nolte won the 100-meter breaststroke with a 1:16.35, just .55 seconds off the E&H record. Chessock and Scarbough completed the 1-2-3 finish.
- Emory & Henry finished the sweep with a win in the 200-meter freestyle relay. Richardson, Jones, Roth and Chessock turned in a 2:01.77, winning the event by nearly 16 seconds.
- Emory & Henry will next compete in the Transylvania Invitational on Saturday, December 3 and Sunday, December 4. The two-day, 18-event meet will signal the middle of the season for the Wasps.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass