EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Swimming Team (5-1, 3-1 ODAC) finished the regular season strong with a double dual sweep of King (Tenn.) University and Milligan College. The Wasps defeated the Lady Tornado, 115-74, and rumbled past the Buffaloes, 135-29.
E&H's victories came againt a pair of scholarship swimming programs. King is a member of NCAA Division II and the Appalachian Swimming Conference while Milligan hails from the NAIA and the Appalachian Athletic Conference.
The meet also served a Senior Night for Emory & Henry which honored Lauren Blakey (Davidson, N.C.), Jordan Greenburg (Cordova, Tenn.), Kia Hamilton (Memphis, Tenn.), Michaela Nolte (Hillsborough, N.C.) and Jessica Richardson (Vero Beach, Fla.) prior to the first race.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 115, King (Tenn.) 74
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 135, Milligan 29
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Emory & Henry Aquatics Center at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-1, 3-1 ODAC)
- E&H won eight of the 11 events on the evening, setting one new school record in the process.
- The Wasps started off with a win in the 200-meter medley relay. Richardson, junior Kelsey Jones (Roanoke, Va.), junior Brianna Chessock (Winston-Salem, N.C.) and freshman Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) stopped the watches in 2:13.46 to win the event by over 14 seconds.
- Greenburg paced the way in the 800-meter freestyle with a time of 10:29.42 while Blakey was third.
- Richardson made it two wins on the day with a swim of 2:17.85 in the 200-meter freestyle. Freshman Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) was third while Simmons took fourth.
- Nolte edged out King's Nicole Maldonado in the 50-meter freestyle, clocking a :27.82, winning the event by .10 seconds. Chessock was fourth.
- In the 200-meter individual medley freshman Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) put up a 2:35.75 to take first while Jones was third in the event. Anson followed that up with a second-place finish in the 100-meter butterfly (1:12.85).
- In the 100-meter freestyle, Hamilton clocked a 1:09.00 to take third while Simmons was fourth.
- Richardson earned a clean sweep on the day in record fashion, breaking her own Emory & Henry best in the 100-meter backstroke. Her time of 1:08.22 was 3.77 seconds faster than second place and beat her previous record set two weeks ago by 0.93 seconds. Greenburg was third in the event.
- Chessock tallied a win in the 400-meter freestyle (4:52.35) while Scarbrough was third.
- Nolte dominated in the 100-meter breaststroke, finishing nearly six seconds clear of second place with a swim of 1:15.80. Jones was third while Hamilton was fifth.
- The Wasps took second in the final event of the day, the 200-meter freestyle relay. Nolte, Hamilton, Scarbrough and Anson put up a time of 1:58.62.
- Emory & Henry will next compete at the 2017 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships which will be held at the Greensboro Aquatic Center.
- The three-day, 18-event meet will run from Friday, February 10 to Sunday, February 12 with preliminaries in the morning and finals in the evening.