GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (4-4) evened its season record with a pair of wins Saturday afternoon at the Greensboro College Invitational. The Wasps topped Piedmont College by a 3-1 score to start the day and blanked Elizabeth City State University, 3-0, in the nightcap.
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina – James G. Hanes Gymnasium
RESULTS – Emory & Henry 3, Piedmont 1 (24-26, 27-25, 25-23, 25-21)
Emory & Henry 3, Elizabeth City State 0 (25-8, 25-16, 25-7)
The Piedmont Match
- Senior outside hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) led the way with 13 kills on .333 (13-3-30) hitting and tacked on nine digs and two aces.
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) had 12 kills, two blocks and an ace, attacking at a 12-1-30 (.367) clip.
- Junior right-side hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) and sophomore outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) posted eight kills each with Singleton adding three blocks.
- Freshman setter Abigail Smiley (Abingdon, Va.) notched a double-double with 21 assists and 10 digs while sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) registered 20 assists and two digs.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) had 24 digs to lead the way.
- As a team, E&H had eight service aces and five blocks, hitting .173 (55-27-162) for the match.
The Elizabeth City State Match
- Senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) had nine kills on 14 attacks and six digs while Singleton added eight kills (8-1-9) with a .778 attack percentage.
- McCauley put up 15 assists and had five service aces in the match.
- Freshman Peyton Dotson (Abingdon, Va.) also notched five aces and added six digs.
- Emory & Henry attacked at a .364 (28-8-55) clip compared to a -.060 (12-15-60) average for ECSU.
- The Wasps had 17 service aces in the match and took advantage of 10 missed serves by the Vikings.
- Emory & Henry will play two matches Sunday in day two of the Greensboro College Invitational. The Wasps face the host Greensboro Pride at noon and take on ODAC rival Eastern Mennonite University at 4:00 p.m., in a non-conference matchup.