GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (6-4) picked up another two wins on Sunday afternoon to go a perfect 4-0 at the Greensboro College Invitational. The Wasps topped host Greensboro College by a 3-0 score to open play and closed things out with a 3-0 win over Eastern Mennonite University.
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina – James G. Hanes Gymnasium
RESULTS – Emory & Henry 3, Greensboro 0 (25-23, 25-22, 25-18)
Emory & Henry 3, Eastern Mennonite 0 (25-19, 25-21, 25-13)
The Greensboro Match
- Senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) attacked at a .412 percentage with nine kills, and contributed four digs and a block.
- Junior right-side hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) and McKinney added seven kills each while Singleton posted a pair of blocks and McKinney posted one block.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had 17 assists, and six aces and three digs while freshman Abigail Smiley (Abingdon, Va.) pitched in 15 assists, two aces and three digs.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) collected 12 digs while Doss added 10 digs to go along with four kills.
- As a team, Emory & Henry hit .227 (35-13-97) for the match, serving up 12 aces and adding four blocks.
- The Pride was led by Evan Sherer's nine kills as they managed to attack at just .098 (27-18-92) in the contest.
The Eastern Mennonite Match
- McKinney led the way with 10 kills and two blocks while Doss tacked on nine kills and six digs.
- Singleton had eight kills (8-1-15) on a .467 hitting percentage while Pennington registered six kills, three aces and five digs.
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) put up three kills and two blocks in the match.
- McCauley had 18 assists and six digs while Hinshaw led the way with nine digs.
- Emory & Henry attacked at a .300 clip (38-11-90) for the match compared to -.010 (26-27-98) for EMU.
- The Wasps had seven service aces and five blocks compared to three aces and two blocks for the Royals.
- Emory & Henry will have its first home match as it begins Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
- The Wasps will host the WildCats of Randolph College, who they defeated by a 3-1 score last year on the road.
- Randolph is picked to finish in ninth-place in the ODAC this year while Emory & Henry was chosen as fifth.
-photo courtesy of Caleb Johnston, E&H '15