GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (8-5, 2-1 ODAC) split a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference matches Saturday on the campus of Guilford College. The Wasps defeated the Virginia Wesleyan College Marlins (5-6, 0-1 ODAC) by a 3-2 in the opening match of the day before falling to Randolph-Macon College (5-3, 3-0 ODAC), 3-0 to complete the day.
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina – Ragan-Brown Field House
RESULTS – Emory & Henry 3, Virginia Wesleyan 2 (18-25, 25-22, 25-19, 23-25, 15-12)
Randolph-Macon 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-17, 25-13, 25-14)
The Virginia Wesleyan Match
- Four different players reached double figures in kills as the Wasps ran their winning streak to seven matches.
- The victory over the Marlins was the first since the 2011 season when the Wasps won by a 3-0 score at VWC.
- Freshman middle Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) led the way with 14 kills and five blocks, hitting .370 (14-4-27) for the match.
- Senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) had 12 kills, 24 digs, two aces and two blocks while junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) added 12 kills, six digs and two blocks.
- Senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) tacked on 11 kills and seven digs while senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) had eight kills, and ace, two blocks and six digs.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished-out 28 assists, 18 digs and three aces while freshman Abigail Smiley (Abingdon, Va.) put up 23 assists.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) notched 23 digs as well.
- As a team, E&H hit .164 (64-35-177) for the match with eight aces and eight blocks.
The Randolph-Macon Match
- Singleton led the Wasps' offense with 11 kills on .435 (11-1-23) hitting.
- Thomason tacked on six kills and two blocks for E&H.
- McCauley had 14 assists and an ace while Smiley notched six assists.
- Hinshaw had a team-high 10 digs, four assists and two aces.
- Emory & Henry hit just .126 (27-15-95) for the match compared to .376 (46-11-93) for Randolph-Macon.
- The Yellow Jackets had seven aces compared to three for the Wasps and led, 44-32, on digs.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Tuesday when it hosts Maryville (Tenn.) College at the John Rutledge King Center. First serve between the Wasps and Scots is set for 6:30 p.m.