EMORY, Va. – The Maryville (Tenn.) College Volleyball Team (5-7) earned a 3-0 non-conference win over Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (8-6) Tuesday evening at the John Rutledge King Center.
FINAL SCORE – Maryville (Tenn.) 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-19, 25-21, 25-13)
LOCATION – Emory, Va. – John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-6, 2-1 ODAC); Maryville (Tenn.) (5-7, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled to a 7-7 tie in the first set before the Scots went on an 8-1 run to lead 15-8. Emory & Henry closed the gap to 20-18 forcing a Maryville timeout but MC came out of the pause to finish on a 5-1 run and take a 1-0 lead.
- The second stanza featured eight ties and five lead changes. The largest margin was a 15-10 Maryville advantage midway through the set, but E&H went on a 5-3 run to close the gap to 18-15. With the score 21-19 in their favor, the Scots pushed through for a 25-21 win.
- Maryville jumped out to a 7-1 score in the third frame and pushed its advantage to 16-2 thanks to a nine-point serving run. Emory & Henry scored six of the next eight points to mount an offensive, but the deficit was too much to overcome as the Scots took the set, 25-13, and the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) led the way with eight kills (8-1-18/.389) and 12 digs.
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) had six kills and two blocks while freshman middle Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) tacked on six kills of her own.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) notched 14 assists and freshman Abigail Smiley (Abingdon, Va.) put up 10 assists and an ace.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) led all players with 22 digs to go along with two assists and an ace.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Brianne Sidner tallied 11 kills on a .333 (11-4-21) hitting percentage while Abrianna Jones tacked on 10 kills.
- Saidee McDaniel led all players with 28 assists and three aces, completing her double-double with 10 digs while Nia Haller registered four kills, three blocks, two aces and 13 digs.
A Deeper Look
- Both teams struggled on the attack, as Emory & Henry hit just .190 (32-13-100) and Maryville hit .191 (36-15-110). The Scots' best set was the third where they went 12-3-29 (.310).
- MC had 10 service aces in the match with only four errors compared to E&H's two aces and eight miscues at the baseline.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Bridgewater, Virginia on Saturday for a tri-match with the Bridgewater College Eagles and the Knights of Southern Virginia University.
- E&H and BC will open the day with an Old Dominion Athletic Conference match at 11:00 a.m., and the Wasps will follow that up with a 1:00 p.m., non-conference meeting with SVU.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass