BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (9-7, 2-2 ODAC) split a pair of matches Saturday during a tri-match at Bridgewater College. The Wasps fell to the Bridgewater Eagles (12-3, 3-1 ODAC) 3-0 to open the day before defeating Southern Virginia University (2-8), 3-1, to complete competition.
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia – Nininger Hall
RESULTS – Bridgewater 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-19, 25-17, 25-17)
Emory & Henry 3, Southern Virginia 1 (25-16, 25-15, 19-25, 25-19)
The Bridgwater Match
- Junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) had a team-high nine kills on a .273 (9-3-22) hitting percentage while sophomore outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) added seven kills and a block.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) notched 15 assists and 10 digs while freshman setter Abigail Smiley (Abingdon, Va.) added 10 assists.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) led the Wasps with 14 digs and added four assists and two aces.
- As a team, E&H hit just .128 (33-18-117) for the match with just two aces and three blocks
- Bridgewater's Abby Mills had 20 kills, hitting .357 while Jenna Hamra dished-out 33 assists.
- Macon Frey posted a match-high 25 digs.
- The Eagles attacked at a .265 (44-14-113) clip and added seven service aces.
The Southern Virginia Match
- Singleton and the Wasps bounced back in the second match of the day. The junior put up 15 kills and added five blocks with 15-2-33 (.394) hitting percentage.
- Senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) added 12 kills and completed the double-double with 19 digs and registered all four of E&H's service aces.
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) had nine kills and three blocks while senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) tacked on nine kills and two blocks.
- Freshman middle Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) notched six kills and led the way with seven blocks while Holmberg added six kills and three blocks.
- Freshman setter Maggie Roark (Maryville, Tenn.) finished with 20 assists and two kills while McCauley had a double-double with 19 assists and 17 digs and Hinshaw added 17 digs of her own.
- Emory & Henry's attack improved to .228 (59-21-167) and the team added four aces and 10 blocks.
- SVU's Penny Gwynn had 16 kills and 11 digs while Hannah Allred added 15 kills, 13 digs and three blocks.
- The Knights hit just 44-27-171 (.099) for the match.
- Emory & Henry's next match will be on Tuesday when it travels to face Ferrum College. First serve between the Wasps and Panthers is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., at Swartz Gymnasium.