EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (10-7) picked up a 3-0 victory over Ferrum College (5-13) Tuesday evening in non-conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Ferrum 0 (25-20, 25-18, 25-13)
LOCATION – Ferrum, Virginia – Swartz Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-7, 2-2 ODAC); Ferrum (5-13, 1-4 USA South)
How It Happened
- E&H got out to a 7-2 lead in the opening set but FC closed the gap to 12-11. The Wasps got four in a row to extend their lead and held on, scoring the final three points of the frame to win 25-20.
- The second stanza looked similar to the first with Emory &Henry earning an early lead and using three- and four-point scoring runs to extend its advantage to 19-11. Ferrum scored four of the next five to get within five (20-15) but the deficit was too much to overcome.
- After surrendering the first two points of the third set, the Wasps went on a six-point run to go up 6-2. A pair of five-point bursts later in the game were major players in an overall 14-4 run to seal the match with a 25-13 final set.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) lead the way with 10 kills, seven digs and a block, hitting .429 (10-1-21) for the match.
- Junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) also had 10 kills and pitched in three blocks and senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) put up eight kills, three blocks and five digs.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) led the way with 22 assists and eight digs while freshman Maggie Roark (Maryville, Tenn.) pitched in 14 assists and four aces.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) recorded 13 digs, five assists and an ace.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Jordan Joyce had six kills while Nadia Hopkins and Jessica Turner provided five kills each.
- Cheyenne Strickland tallied a double-double with 20 assists and 16 digs while Sarah Hendrix tacked on 16 digs of her own.
A Deeper Look
- As a team, E&H hit .246 (43-14-118) for the match, hitting above .200 in all three sets while Ferrum went 24-24-110 (.000).
- The Wasps had five service aces and six blocks while the Panthers managed just two aces and two blocks in the match.
- Emory & Henry's will step back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Friday evening when it hosts Lynchburg College at 6:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass