EMORY, Va. – The Lynchburg College Volleyball team earned a 3-1 win over Emory & Henry College Friday evening in ODAC play. The match was closely contested from start to finish as the teams fought through 47 ties and 24 lead changes.
FINAL SCORE – Lynchburg 3, Emory & Henry 1 (28-26, 18-25, 29-27, 25-15)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia - John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-8, 2-3 ODAC); Lynchburg (10-4, 3-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The opening set was close with neither team leading by more than two points the entire way. E&H went up 24-22 late, but LC tied things up at 24. Ties at 25 and 26 opened the frame up for Lynchburg to score the final two points and take a 1-0 lead in the match.
- LC kept the second set close early on. With the score tied at 10, E&H scored eight of the next 10 points to lead 18-12. The Wasps held on to the lead for a 25-18 win and a 1-1 match score.
- E&H battled through the third set never trailing by more than four points the whole way. After 18 ties and nine lead changes, the Hornets pulled through to a 29-27 set victory.
-LC jumped ahead early, 6-1, in the fourth set. The Hornets had a pair of five-point scoring runs and another which was four in a row. Leading 21-14, Lynchburg closed the match out with four of the final five points.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) had a team-high 13 kills and and added five blocks while junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) totaled 12 kills.
- Sophomore outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) added nine kills and three blocks and senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) and senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) tallied eight kills each.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) notched 29 assist and two caes while senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) led all players with 18 digs.
- Jennifer Garret had a match-high 15 kills and added 10 digs to complete the double-double while Haven Jarrell added 11 kills.
- Lynn Walsh dished-out 29 assists and had 11 digs while Lauren Standford tacked on 11 digs and two aces.
A Deeper Look
- Lynchburg attacked at a .192 (49-21-146) percentage for the match while Emory & Henry hit 57-30-149 (.181). The best performance of the match came from the Wasps' second set, a .414 (14-2-29) offensive outburst.
- E&H had five aces and eight blocks in the match compared to six aces and six blocks by LC.
- The Wasps also led, 64-53, in digs and, 53-47, in assists.
- Emory & Henry's next match will be at Shenandoah University on Saturday, October 8 at 1:00 p.m.