WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (11-8, 3-3 ODAC) earned a thrilling 3-2 win in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action over Shenandoah University (9-12, 1-5 ODAC) Saturday afternoon at Shingleton Gymnasium.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Shenandoah 2 (25-19, 17-25, 25-22, 22-25, 17-15)
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia – Shingleton Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-8, 3-3 ODAC); Shenandoah (9-12, 1-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Down 14-10 in the first set, the Wasps went on a 15-5 run to take a 1-0 lead in the match. E&H sealed the win by scoring the final five points and eight of the final 10.
- Shenandoah answered in the second set with a strong finishing run of its own. Up 17-14, the Hornets put up an 8-3 run for the 25-17, tying the match, 1-1.
- The two squads traded 25-22 scores in the third and fourth sets with Emory &Henry winning the third and Shenandoah forcing the fifth, and deciding, set in the fourth.
- In the fifth frame, the squads battled through 12 ties before a victor could be determined. The Wasps led 14-12, but three straight points by the Hornets gave them a 15-14 lead. E&H tied things up at 15 and put the match away with the final two points, 17-15.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) led all players with 19 kills, hitting .342 (19-6-38) for the match while senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) had 13 kills, nine digs and two blocks.
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) posted eight kills and four blocks while senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) had six kills, four aces and 12 digs.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished-out 27 assists and freshman setter Maggie Roark (Maryville, Tenn.) pitched in 19 assists.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) recorded 22 digs and two aces.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Emily Cheatwood posted 16 kills on a .406 (16-3-32) attack while Elizabeth Lamont added 14 kills and 19 digs for a double-double. Caylin Harris also had a double-double with 12 kills and 13 digs.
- Rachel Cerretani led all players with 48 assists and had 13 digs while Nicole Shannon chipped in 13 digs.
A Deeper Look
- As a team, E&H hit .187 (57-26-166) for the match, hitting above .200 in each of the final three sets while Shenandoah 55-28-165 (.164).
- The Wasps had nine service aces and nine blocks while the Hornets managed seven aces and three blocks in the match.
- Emory & Henry will host Piedmont College in a non-conference match on Monday evening at 6:30 p.m.
- The contest will also serve as the Wasps' annual Dig Pink match to benefit the Side-Out Foundation for cancer research.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass