SALEM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (12-9, 4-3 ODAC) put up its second-best offensive effort of the season as it defeated Roanoke College (13-6, 3-5 ODAC) by a 3-0 score Friday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Roanoke 0 (25-21, 25-22, 28-26)
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Cregger Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-9, 3-3 ODAC); Roanoke (12-10, 4-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Down by an 14-11 score in the first set, Emory & Henry scored eight of the next 11 points to take a 19-17 lead. After surrendering a pair of points to the Maroons, the Wasps closed the frame on a 6-2 run.
- Roanoke went up 12-7 early in the second stanza, however E&H put its attack in overdrive and rolled to a 25-22 win. The Wasps had a trio of four-point scoring runs in the set as they pushed ahead to a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The third set saw the score tied on 19 different occasions as RC was not about to fall easily. With the Wasps up 23-22, the Maroons scored two straight to make it 24-23 and on the cusp of forcing a fourth set. Emory & Henry scored the next two points to lead 26-25 and after a Roanoke point tied things up at 26, E&H powered through to close the match by scoring the final two points.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) had a team-high 11 kills, hitting .435 (11-1-23) and completed her double-double with 12 digs.
- Junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) attacked at a .556 (10-0-18) percentage and chipped in a pair of blocks.
- Sophomore outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) had eight kills and five blocks while senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) notched eight kills, four blocks, four digs and an ace.
- Freshman Maggie Roark (Maryville, Tenn.) dished-out 20 assists, eight digs and three aces and sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had 20 assists and six digs.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) registered 17 digs to lead all players.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Three different Maroon hitters finished with 11 kills, led by Logan Graves with a .476 (11-1-27) hitting percentage.
- Jessica Block put up 24 assists and eight digs while Christen Zammit and Ryan Hedgepeth totaled 14 and 13 digs, respectively.
A Deeper Look
- As a team, Emory & Henry hit .336 (46-8-113) for the match, eclipsing the .300 barrier in the first and third frames.
- Roanoke attacked just 43-19-133 (.180) over the course of the contest, only breaching .200 in the third set.
- The Wasps had 11 blocks and six aces while the Maroons managed just two blocks but led the way with nine aces.
- Emory & Henry host Washington and Lee University in a key Old Dominion Athletic Conference match on Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass