EMORY, Va. – The Washington and Lee University Volleyball Team (19-5, 8-2 ODAC) picked up a 3-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (12-10, 4-4 ODAC) Tuesday evening at the John Rutledge King Center.
FINAL SCORE – Washington and Lee 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-19)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (12-10, 4-4 ODAC); Washington and Lee (19-5, 8-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- With the score tied 5-5 in the opening set, the Generals went on a 5-1 run to go up 10-6. W&L pulled away later in the frame to earn a 25-17 win and lead 1-0.
- The second set featured six ties and five lead changes with the last coming at 15-15. Washington and Lee scored the next four points to take control and scored six of the final seven points of the stanza to take a 2-0 lead with a 25-19 score.
- The two teams went back and forth early in the third to the tune of 11 ties and six lead changes. With the score knotted at 12, W&L went on a 10-1 run to lead 22-13. Emory & Henry scored six of the next eight to get within five, 24-19, before the Generals put the final point on the board to take the set, 25-19, and the match, 3-0.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) and junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) each had six kills.
- Senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) and sophomore middle Kate Franklin (Blountville, Tenn.) added four kills each.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished out 13 assists and collected seven digs.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Elly Cosgrove posted a double-double with 11 kills and 13 digs while Mackenzie Shand added eight kills and four blocks.
- Ashleigh Meade notched seven kills, four aces, six digs and three blocks.
- Elena West led the way with 17 assists while Anna Soroka posted 14 assists of her own.
A Deeper Look
- Washington and Lee attacked at a .253 (40-16-95) average for the match, reaching the .300 plateau in the first two sets.
- Emory & Henry hit just 24-17-102 (.069) with the bright point coming in the second set as they went 9-2-27 for a .259 hitting percentage.
- The Wasps had six block and three aces compared to five blocks and six aces for the Generals.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Hollins University in an ODAC match on Thursday evening at 7:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass