EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (13-10, 5-4 ODAC) attacked at a blistering .463 percentage for the match as it earned an Old Dominion Athletic Conference sweep over Hollins University (2-21, 0-9 ODAC) Thursday evening.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Hollins 0 (25-12, 25-8, 25-18)
LOCATION – Roanoke, Virginia – C.H. Gym
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (13-10, 5-4 ODAC); Hollins (2-21, 0-9 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got out to an 11-1 lead in the opening frame, setting the stage for the evening. A four-point run later in the set made the score 20-6 and the Wasps cruised to the opening win, 25-12.
- In the second stanza, Emory & Henry opened with nine of the first 10 points and used a 7-1 run later on to push the margin to 20-5. A 5-2 closing run made the match score 2-0 after the 25-8 win.
- The third set was the closest of the match with the teams battling early. With the score knotted at 13, the Wasps put up a 10-2 run to lead 23-15 and cruise to the 25-18 win and the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) was on fire with her attack, scoring 12 kills on 18 attempts with no errors (.750).
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) had eight kills, two aces and two blocks while senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) added six kills, two aces and 14 digs.
- Senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) chipped in five kills while sophomores Megan Stitzer (Richmond, Va.) and Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) tallied four kills each.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had 21 assists and two aces and junior setter Sarah Scott (Collinsville, Va.) added 10 assists.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) put up 16 digs, four assists, and three aces.
Hollins Individual Leaders
- Deja Hadden led the green-and-gold with seven kills while Casey Mahan dished-out 18 assists.
- Amanda Mink had a team-high 11 digs.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit a season-best .463 (45-7-82) with a second-set attack of 16-0-23 (.696). The first and third sets also eclipsed the .350 mark.
- Hollins hit just 19-13-89 (.067) with the bright point coming in the third set as it went 7-2-31 for a .161 hitting percentage.
- The Wasps had 13 service aces in the match compared to just two for HU.
- Emory & Henry will play in its final tri-match of the season on Saturday on the campus of William Peace University.
- The Wasps will take on the Mary Baldwin College Fighting Squirrels at 2:00 p.m., before completing play against the William Peace Pacers at 4:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass