RALEIGH, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (14-11, 5-4 ODAC) split a pair of matches Saturday during its final tri-match of the year at William Peace University. The Wasps topped the Fighting Squirrels of Mary Baldwin University (4-22) by a 3-0 scored to open the day before falling in the nightcap, 3-0, to the William Peace Pacers (20-7).
LOCATION – Raleigh, North Carolina – Hermann Athletic Center
RESULTS – Emory & Henry 3, Mary Baldwin 0 (25-18, 25-17, 25-16)
William Peace 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-14, 25-15, 25-18)
The Mary Baldwin Match
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) led the way with 10 kills on a .319 (10-4-19) hitting percentage and added six digs while senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingsport, Tenn.) finished with seven kills and three digs.
- Junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) and sophomore outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) each posted five kills.
- Sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) notched 15 assists two aces and three digs while freshman setter Maggie Roark (Maryville, Tenn.) added 12 assists and five aces.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) posted eight digs, three aces and two assists.
- As a team, E&H hit .299 (34-11-77) for the match with 11 aces and three blocks
- MBU's Jessica Hickman had eight kills while Reilly Kelly had 17 assists.
- The Fighting Squirrels only managed to attack at a .036 (22-19-83) clip, but had four aces and one block.
The William Peace Match
- Singleton and Pennington each had eight kills against the Pacers as Pennington added seven digs. Singleton hit a team-best .273 (8-2-22) for the match.
- Senior right-side hitter Hannah Doss (Meadowview, Va.) tacked on five kills as McCauley had 15 assists and nine digs.
- Hinshaw posted 16 digs to lead the team.
- Emory & Henry's attack struggled against WPU as the Wasps hit just .106 (29-17-113) with one ace and two blocks.
- Mya Parks and Laura Bland posted 15 and 14 kills, respectively while Liana Solomon earned a double-double with 31 assists and 17 digs.
- The Pacers boasted a .304 hitting percentage (44-10-112) with five aces and nine blocks for the match.
- Emory & Henry will step back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Wednesday when it travels to face Eastern Mennonite University.
- First serve between the Wasps and Royals is set for 7:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass