GREENSBORO, N.C. - The Guilford College Volleyball Team (12-13, 6-5 ODAC) earned a 3-1 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (15-12, 6-5 ODAC) Saturday evening in the final Old Dominion Athletic Conference match of the season.
FINAL SCORE - Guilford 3, Emory & Henry 1 (20-25, 25-23, 25-18, 25-22)
LOCATION - Greensboro, North Carolina - Ragan-Brown Field House
RECORDS - Emory & Henry (15-12, 6-5 ODAC); Guilford (12-13, 6-5 ODAC)
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior middle Kennady Thomason (Chattanooga, Tenn.) had a team-high 12 kills, hitting .400 (12-2-25) and adding four blocks while junior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) tacked on 12 kills and two blocks of her own.
- Sophomore outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) added 11 kills while senior outside hitter Tristen Pennington (Kingport, Tenn.) notched six kills and 11 digs.
- Junior setter Sarah Scott (Collinsville, Va.) and sophomore setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had 18 assists each while Scott registered three aces.
- Senior libero Emily Hinshaw (Boone, N.C.) put up 24 digs and added six assists.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Christian Ritter, Casey Davis and Morgan Thompkins each had 11 kills in the match and finished with double-doubles. Ritter had 20 digs, Davis added 11 digs and Thompkins put up 23 digs.
- Tina Eucker dished-out 41 assists and recorded five aces while McKenzie Clapp notched 17 digs.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry attacked at a .210 clip (52-18-162) for the match, hitting 16-2-39 (.359) in the opening frame. Guilford hit just .166 (50-25-151) on the afternoon, with its best performance coming in the second stanza (.244).
- The Wasps had six service aces and six blocks but were hampered by 12 service errors and eight ball-handling errors.
- The Quakers put up six aces and were without a block but limited their mistakes to four service errors and one ball-handling error.
- GC held a 78-60 advantage on digs.
- Emory & Henry will next compete in the Quarterfinals of the 2016 ODAC Tournament on Wednesday evening.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass