LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Lynchburg College Volleyball Team (10-5, 5-3 ODAC) earned a 3-1 (25-20, 21-25, 25-20, 25-22) win over Emory & Henry College (4-14, 2-5 ODAC) Friday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Lynchburg 3, Emory & Henry 1 (25-20, 21-25, 25-20, 25-22)
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia – John M. Turner Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-14, 2-5 ODAC); Lynchburg (10-5, 5-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Lynchburg led early, 7-3, but Emory & Henry closed the gap to 11-9. The Hornets would hold off a Wasp run late, to seal the 25-20 win.
- The squads flipped roles in the second set with E&H taking a 12-9 advantage and holding off LC late to tie the match, 1-1, with a 25-21 victory.
- The third frame was just as close, but the Hornets were able to hold a slim lead the entire way. Up 17-16, Lynchburg scored eight of the final 12 points to take the set, 25-20.
- Emory & Henry battled back from a 21-13 deficit thanks to an 8-0 run to tie things up a 21-all. Another tie at 22 made a fifth set look likely, but the Hornets scored three in a row to clinch the set and the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) led all players with 17 kills, hitting .306, and completed the double-double with 10 digs.
- Senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) had eight kills, four digs and two blocks.
- Junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished-out 29 assists and made it a double-double with 10 digs, adding a match-high four blocks.
- Junior libero Huntre Baxtre (Blountville, Va.) led the way with 19 digs while junior defensive specialist Amethyst Crawford (Afton, Tenn.) added 13 digs of her own.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Sydney Frink put up 11 kills while Lindsey Lang and Mesa Willis had seven kills each.
- Katie Heenan notched 22 assists and four aces while Erin Farina put up another 15 assists, four aces and seven digs.
- Lauren Stanford posted 17 digs to lead the Hornets defensively.
- Emory & Henry will remain in the Hill City on Saturday for a tri-match at Randolph College.
- The Wasps will face the WildCats in ODAC play at 11:00 a.m., and will conclude the day with a non-conference match against Regent University at 1:00 p.m.