BUENA VISTA, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams got their first taste of team competition on Friday evening as they competed in the 2016 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Preview Meet. The event, which was hosted by Washington and Lee University, was held at Buena Vista Links Golf Course, which will also serve as the site of the ODAC Championships in October.
MEN'S RESULT – 5th/10
WOMEN'S RESULT – 9th/12
LOCATION – Buena Vista, Va. – Buena Vista Links Golf Course
The Men – 8K (5 miles)
- Junior Michael LoGrande (Alexandria, Va.) led the way for the Wasps with a 21st-place finish in 30:07 despite the dangerously hot conditions.
- Senior Kevin Watts (Stafford, Va.) was the number two runner for E&H with a time of 30:28 to come in 26th.
- Sophomore Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.), senior Alex Cooper (Christiansburg, Va.) and sophomore Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) rounded out the Emory & Henry top five.
- Washington and Lee won the meet, sweeping the top three places and putting five runners inside the top nine. Lynchburg College was second while Bridgewater College was third.
- Mac Strehler of W&L was the overall champion, running a 27:32 for the event.
The Women – 4K (2.5 miles)
- Freshman Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) was Emory & Henry's top runner with a time of 17:40 to take 33rd place.
- Senior Elizabeth Wilson (Roanoke, Va.) finished second on the squad with a time of 18:49 (55th) while sophomore Kelly Light (Blountville, Tenn.) was third in 18:59 (60th).
- Sophomore Kayla Mulkey (Wise, Va.) and sophomore Taylor Henderson (Glade Spring, Va.) made up the top five for the Wasps.
- Washington and Lee claimed the team title for the women's race, with two of the top four finishers. Roanoke College was second and Lynchburg took third.
- Roanoke's Kerri Dalton won the race in a time of 15:16.
- Due to the hot and humid conditions, the start of the women's race was delayed and the distance was shortened from a 6K to a 4K run.
- Emory & Henry's next race will be the Greensboro Invitational on Saturday, September 24. The meet will be held at Hagan Stone Park.
- Last year the E&H men took the team title for the NCAA Division III race while the women came in second.