TALLULAH FALLS, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams competed Saturday morning at the Piedmont College Invitational. The meet gave the Wasps some different competition from normal as it also served as the preview for the 2016 USA South Athletic Conference Championships.
MEN'S RESULT – 3rd/7
WOMEN'S RESULT – 6th/9
LOCATION – Tallulah Falls, Georgia – Tallulah Falls Farm Course
The Men – 8K (5 miles)
- Senior Kevin Watts (Stafford, Va.) led the way for E&H, as he finished fourth in 29:16.
- Senior Alex Cooper (Christiansburg, Va.) was second on the team, finishing sixth overall, clocking a 29:35.
- Sophomore Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) came in eighth in the race and was third for the Wasps turning in a time of 29:41.
- Sophomore Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) and senior Jackson Feezell (Gastonia, N.C.) were 18th (30:58) and 23rd (31:30) overall, respectively to round out the top five for the Wasps.
- Nicholas Evans of Oglethorpe University won the individual title, stopping the watches in 28:39.
- Piedmont claimed the team title putting its five scoring runners in the top 13.
The Women – 6K (3.7 miles)
- Freshman Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) was Emory & Henry's number one, finishing third overall with a time of 24:48.
- Senior Elizabeth Wilson (Roanoke, Va.) posted a 26:41 to finish 19th over all and second on the team.
- Freshman Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.) ran a 30:27 as the while sophomore McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) and sophomore Taylor Henderson (Glade Spring, Va.) finished in 31:10 and 31:19, respectively.
- Piedmont's Reese Bowles earned medalist honors with a time of 24:14 and the Lions put their top five runners inside the top 15 to win the team championship.
- Emory & Henry will next compete at the 2016 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships on Saturday, October 29.
- Washington and Lee University will serve as the host for this year's championship which will take place at the Buena Vista Links Golf Course in Buena Vista, Virginia.