NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams concluded their 2017 season on Saturday at the NCAA Division III South/Southeast Region Championships. Christopher Newport University, a member institution of the Capital Athletic Conference, served as the host of this year's regional meet.
MEN'S RESULT – 27th/32
WOMEN'S RESULT – DNS
LOCATION – Newport News, Virginia – Lee Hall Mansion
The Men – 8K (4.97 miles)
- Junior Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) turned in a time of 26:29 over the 8K course to lead the Wasps, placing 77th overall.
- Senior Buck Kirtland (Roanoke, Va.) finished in 28:04 while junior Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) and senior Michael LoGrande (Alexandria, Va.) went 28:32 and 28:37, respectively.
- Sophomore Colt Pierce (Lockhart, Texas) rounded out the Wasps with a run of 34:24.
- Host Christopher Newport won the regional title, placing three runners in the top five, including the individual champion. Rhodes College was second while Emory University took third.
- CNU's Grayson Reid took medalist honors with a time of 24:01, besting Berea College's Logan McKenzie by just two seconds.
The Women – 6K (3.73 miles)
- Freshman Alette McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) once again led the Wasps with a 24:19 to finish just outside the top 100 in the region (102nd) while sophomore Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) stopped the watches in 24:45.
- Junior McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) posted a time of 27:18 while sophomore Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.) went 29:02.
- E&H was without two of its runners due to injury and was unable to post a team score.
- Trinity (Texas) University claimed the team championship, with three runners inside the top six. Emory was second while Centre College finished third.
- Gabrielle Stravach of Emory posted a 20:59 for top individual honors, besting Annie Rodenfels of Centre by 11 seconds.