Emory & Henry Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
What is SAAC?
The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is a committee made up of student-athletes assembled to provide insight on the student-athlete experience. The SAAC also offers input on the rules, regulations, and policies that affect student-athletes’ lives on NCAA member institution campuses.
SAAC Mission Statement
Our mission for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is to develop a positive image for every student-athlete within the athletic department and the community. We create an opportunity to communicate with the department to suit the needs of athletes and to enhance their overall experience at Emory & Henry College.
Purpose of SAAC
The purpose of Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is as follows:
- To streamline and promote efficient communication between the athletic department administration and the student-athlete population.
- To provide the student-athlete population with an opportunity to more effectively communicate with the athletic department administration and provide suggestions on programs designed to serve its needs.
- To actively encourage more involvement of student-athletes in campus and community outreach projects.
- To design and implement programs which will encourage academic achievement, health promotion, social responsibility, and general life skills awareness.
SAAC shall consist of eligible student-athletes. Each team will be allowed to have two representatives on the committee, who will be selected by their coaches and/or teammates at the beginning of the school year. SAAC representatives will be expected to relay information between the committee and their teams.
Important criteria for representatives are:
- Must be a member of a varsity athletic team.
- Must be academically eligible and be in good standing on the team.
- Must be a trusted teammate who is willing and able to effectively communicate to teammates and within the committee.
It is the responsibility of all officers to report directly to the advisor for SAAC.
President: Presides over meetings and is responsible for providing the agenda for the meetings. Serves as the spokesperson for the committee. Will work directly with the SAAC Advisor.
Vice President: Will aid the president in committee business. In the event the president cannot attend a meeting or function, the vice president will stand in.
Secretary: Will record minutes for all meetings and take attendance. Minutes and attendance will be turned into the SAAC Advisor within 24 hours of the meeting.
Election of SAAC Officers
Officers will be nominated and elected at the last meeting in the spring semester for the following year. A simple majority vote by secret ballot will determine the winner. Officers must have been members of SAAC for at least one year prior to being elected.
The committee will hold meetings every 3 weeks. Meeting times will be determined by SAAC officers and the SAAC Advisor, but will typically be held on Sunday evenings. The president or SAAC Advisor may call special meetings.
SAAC members are expected to attend meetings and participate in special functions and fundraisers. Excessive absences will result in removal from the committee.
All SAAC members have a voice in the committee. Active participation and communication by all members is encouraged.