WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Football Team (5-2, 4-1 ODAC) ran its winning streak to five games with a 41-31 victory over Shenandoah (4-3, 3-3 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference road game.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 41, Shenandoah 31
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia
VENUE – Sprint Field at Shentel Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-2, 4-1 ODAC); Shenandoah (4-3, 3-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got on the board with 9:42 to go in the first quarter on a 29-yard field goal from senior Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.). The Wasps pushed the margin to 17-0 at the end of the quarter on a 40-yard fumble recovery by senior defensive lineman Da'von Keith (Columbia, S.C.) and a 23-yard reception by junior wideout Max Yates (Abingdon, Va.) from junior Hunter Taylor (Summerville, S.C.).
- With 10:18 to go in the second, the Wasps pushed the margin to 24-0 as Taylor found Yates a second time.
- Shenandoah answered immediately as Mario Widsom scored on a 59-yard run and closed the gap to 24-10 on a 27-yard field goal by Drew Geyer.
- Emory & Henry scored again before the half with Taylor hitting junior wide receiver Gunner Griffith (Bluff City, Tenn.) with a 15-yard touchdown to make the score 31-10.
- In the third, the Hornets closed the gap to 31-24 with a nine-yard reception by Brant Butler and a 17-yard run by Samuel Adams.
- E&H pushed the margin back to three scores (41-24) with a 40-yard field goal by Seals and an 80-yard interception return by redshirt freshman linebacker Grayson Overstreet (Moneta, Va.) with 7:50 left in the contest.
- SU capped the scoring with just under four minutes to play as Chris Sonnenberg hit Jake Wallace with a three-yard pass and the final 41-31 score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Taylor went 13-for-28 for 247 yards, three touchdowns and an interception while running for 92 yards to lead the Wasps' ground game.
- Yates finished the day with five catches for 141 yards and two touchdowns as Griffith had three catches for 20 yards and a score.
- Overstreet led all tacklers with 12 stops and his 80-yard pick-six as freshman defensive back Ryan Gibson (Bristol, Tenn.) picked off three passes to go along with five tackles and three other passes defended.
- Sophomore defensive back Dalton Wilson (Clinton, Tenn.) had 11 stops while sophomore defensive back Zyquis Law (Charlotte, N.C.) concluded the game with 10 tackles.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Sonnenberg threw for 340 yards and two touchdowns but was intercepted four times.
- Adams finished the night with 95 rushing yards and a touchdown while Wisdom added 75 yards.
- Casey Stewart caught seven passes for 105 yards while Wallace had eight receptions for 74 yards and a score.
- Randy Oliver notched 12 tackles including a tackle for a loss while Jahquan Collins added seven stops. Nate Hill picked off a pass and broke up another to go along with four tackles.
- Emory & Henry will return home next Saturday to host Bridgewater. Kickoff between the Wasps and Eagles will be at 1:00 p.m.