GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Football Team (6-3, 5-2 ODAC) got back on track Saturday with a 38-22 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win at Guilford College (2-7, 1-6 ODAC).
Senior placekicker Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.) became the all-time leader in ODAC history for extra-points made as he converted all five of his PATs on the afternoon. Seals now has 158 makes in his career and with today's scores now holds the E&H record for makes in a season (44).
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 38, Guilford 22
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina
VENUE – Appenzeller Field at the Armfield Athletic Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-3, 5-2 ODAC); Guilford (2-7, 1-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After forcing fumbles on Guilford's opening two drives, E&H got the scoring started when senior wide receiver Derrick Yates (Abingdon, Va.) caught a 28-yard pass from junior quarterback Hunter Taylor (Summerville, S.C.).
- The Quakers drew the score to 7-6 as Teddy Gassert hit Evan Carnes with a 27-yard throw, but Harrison Kiser's kick was blocked.
- In the second, Emory & Henry scored a touchdown and a field goal to push the margin to 17-6 at the half. Redshirt freshman Grayson Overstreet (Moneta, Va.) plunged in from two yards out while Seals connected on a 42-yard field goal with 36 seconds left before the break.
- GC put points up early in the third as Kiser hit from 25 yards, making the score 17-9, but E&H responded with back-to-back touchdowns to make it a 22-point game (31-9).Taylor ran one in from a yard out while junior Daniel Hall (Ashburn, Va.) had a 10-yard touchdown reception from Taylor.
- Gassert kept the Quakers alive when he linked up with Jermaine Russell for a 16-yard score (31-16) but the Wasps closed the door as Taylor hit junior wideout Gunner Griffith (Bluff City, Tenn.) in stride for a one-play, 74-yard touchdown with 7:31 to go.
- Guilford capped the scoring as Shanaan McKoy ran for a late touchdown, making the final 38-22.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Taylor finished the game with three passing touchdowns on 12-for-24 passing for 198 yards and added a rushing score.
- Freshman running back T.J. Tester (Moneta, Va.) posted a game-high 152 rushing yards while sophomore Brady Justice (Grundy, Va.) and Overstreet had 58 and 20 yards, respectively.
- Griffith led the way with 134 receiving yards on seven catches while Derrick Yates had three receptions for 45 yards.
- Sophomore linebacker Ivan Phillips (Kingsport, Tenn.) made 14 tackles and added a forced fumble to lead the E&H defense while senior linebacker Staymon Johnson (Pilot Mountain, N.C.) notched nine stops.
- The Wasp defense ended the day with three takeaways, 10 tackles for a loss, five sacks, five forced fumbles and two blocked kicks.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Gassert finished the game 22-for-39 for 199 yards and two scores, hitting Carnes 13 times for 115 yards. Russell finished the game with seven catches for 80 yards.
- Desmond McDowell ran for 49 yards while McKoy's score came as part of a 27-yard performance.
- Khayree Lundy had 14 tackles on the afternoon while Bryce Smith added eight stops – two for a loss – to go along with a forced and recovered fumble.
- Emory & Henry will close out the regular season next Saturday when it hosts Ferrum College in the Fourth Annual Crooked Road Classic. The game will also serve as Senior Day for the Wasps
- Kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m., but fans are encouraged to arrive early for the senior recognition.