LYNCHBURG, Va. – The No. 11 University of Lynchburg Men's Soccer Team (5-0-1, 1-0 ODAC) scored the lone goal of the match late in the 54th minute as it ground out a 1-0 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (5-2, 0-1 ODAC) Wednesday evening in what was the Old Dominion Athletic Conference opener for both squads.
Lynchburg is currently the 11th-ranked team in NCAA Division III by the United Soccer Coaches (formerly the National Soccer Coaches Association of America). The Hornets are also ranked No. 7 in the nation by D3soccer.com.
FINAL SCORE – No. 11 Lynchburg 1, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Shellenberger Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-2, 0-1 ODAC); No. 11 Lynchburg (5-0-1, 1-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled to a scoreless tie after 45 minutes of action with Emory &Henry goalkeeper sophomore Cole Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) making five saves.
- Coming out of the intermission, the Hornets were finally able to break through with a goal at the 53:57 mark. Abibi Osman served up a ball to the middle of the box for a one-touch strike by Robert Dunham.
- The final 35 minutes of the match would go down much like the first 50 with Lynchburg controlling much of the possession, but Emory & Henry's defenders remained strong and the 1-0 score would go down as final.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Irvin made another seven saves in the second half to finish with 12 stops, the most since making 15 saves against Eastern Mennonite University last year.
- Senior midfielders Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) and Jake Hamley (Christiansburg, Va.) each had shots in the contest.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- In addition to his goal, Dunham finished with four shots while Jack Ashby also tallied four attempts.
- Dylan McLaurin posted the clean sheet in net for the Hornets, his fifth shutout of the year.
A Deeper Look
- Lynchburg totaled 25 shots in the contest and also held an 11-1 lead on corner kicks.
- The Wasps also forced the Hornets into three offside violations.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Saturday when it visits Bridgewater College for an ODAC matchup against the Eagles. Kickoff is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.
- The match will be the first in a doubleheader as the E&H and BC women's soccer programs will take the field at 1:00 p.m.