Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Virginia Wesleyan Men’s Soccer Blanks Emory & Henry, 5-0, Saturday In ODAC Action

Casey Widdifield controls the ball in the midfield.

EMORY, Va. – The Virginia Wesleyan University Men's Soccer Team (3-5, 1-0 ODAC)  opened up a 2-0 halftime lead and never looked back on its way to a 5-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Emory & Henry College (5-3-2, 0-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon.

The Basics
FINAL SCORE – Virginia Wesleyan 5, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-3-2, 0-1 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (3-5, 1-0 ODAC)

How It Happened
- The Marlins got on the board early in the eighth minute when Matt Campbell cleaned up a rebound from a saved shot by Shaun Brooks.  VWU made it a 2-0 advantage at the intermission thanks to a Devin Wallace goal from a Deryck Burczyk free kick at the 38:22 mark.
- Just after returning to play, Virginia Wesleyan extended its margin to 3-0 when Jaron Berry played a ball into the box from the right side that curled into the goal.
- VWU added two final goals with 15 minutes left to play, scoring twice in 94 seconds. Allex Wilcox received a pass from Yefrey Garcia for his tally while Wallace linked up with Gabe Peredo with a short pass inside the box that he put into the back of the net.

Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) had two shots on target while freshman defender Josh Helton (Talbott, Tenn.) added a pair of chances.
- Freshman Spencer Scott (Stephens City, Va.) made four saves in goal in his first collegiate start, playing the full 90 minutes.

Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Wallace notched his score and helper to lead the way, putting up three shots on the afternoon. Berry had two shots on target as well.
- Griffin Potter picked up the victory with four saves for VWU, playing the first 81:40 of the contest. He was relieved by Nick Peterson, who closed out the match.

Up Next
- Emory & Henry will be on the road for its next two matches beginning with a trip to Toccoa Falls College on Thursday at 4:30 p.m.