LEXINGTON, Va. – The No. 12 Washington and Lee University Men's Soccer Team (8-1-2, 2-0 ODAC) scored three goals in quick succession at the start of the second half on its way to a 7-1 win against visiting Emory & Henry College (6-4-2, 0-2 ODAC) Saturday in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – No. 12 Washington and Lee 7, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Lexington, Virginia
VENUE – Alston Parker Watt Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-4-2, 0-2 ODAC); Washington and Lee (8-1-2, 2-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Generals got on the board late in the fifth minute as Samuel Bass scored on a pass from Harry Pinkerton. At the 29:00 mark, W&L made it 2-0 as Bass was on the giving end, assisting on Patrick Rooney's score.
- Bass tallied his second score of the half with 1:35 to go before the break as Erick Recke provided the helper.
- Coming out of the intermission, Washington and Lee's offense clicked on all cylinders as Nick St. Pierre scored a goal in between a pair from John Peterson between the 53rd and 59th minutes to go up 6-0.
- Emory & Henry got in on the action at the 59:08 mark as freshman midfielder Casey Widdifield (Afton, Va.) netted his second of the season, assisted by freshman Josh Helton (Talbott, Tenn.).
- W&L added the final tally with just four seconds on the clock as Alexy Alin-Hvidsten put one past the keeper for the 7-1 margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman Spencer Scott (Stephens City, Va.) made 16 saves in goal, a season-best for the Wasps, despite taking the loss.
- Widdfield and Helton both had shots in the game with Widdfield's spoiling the shutout.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Bass posted two goals and an assists while Peterson notched a pair of scores.
- A trio of goalkeepers played for the Generals with Michael Nyc spending the opening 56 minutes between the pipes.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Tuesday for an ODAC matchup with Guilford College. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m.