EMORY, Va. – The Hampden-Sydney College Men's Soccer Team (10-5-1, 5-0-1 ODAC) tightened its grip on the top spot in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference on Tuesday evening as it picked up 5-1 win at Emory & Henry College (6-8-2, 0-6 ODAC).
FINAL SCORE – Hampden-Sydney 5, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-8-2, 0-6 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (10-5-1, 5-0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Tigers scored four times in the opening 30 minutes to take control of the match. The first goal came as a penalty kick by Sean McMurray late in the 13th minute.
- HSC pushed the margin to 2-0 at the 15:11 mark as Jacob Mann finished a cross from Cole Burton from the right side. Mann got his second goal just four and a half minutes later (19:46) as Jacob Siler provided the helper.
- Midway through the 24th minute, Hampden-Sydney struck again, earning another penalty kick. This time, Brian Tarnai made the conversion for the 4-0 lead.
- Emory & Henry spoiled the shutout just after the hour mark as sophomore midfielder Ethan Taylor (Powhatan, Va.) scored a penalty of his own.
- With just 2:11 to play, the Tigers added a final tally for the 5-1 margin. Connor Shaw played a ball across the top of the box to Nolan Poretz, who slotted it to the back post for the goal.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Taylor provided the bright spot for the Wasps as senior defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) and freshman midfielder Casey Widdifield (Afton, Va.) each tallied shots on target.
- Senior Morgan Moser (Sweetwater, Tenn.) made eight saves in goal despite the loss.
Hampden-Sydney Individual Leaders
- Mann finished the match with two goals on six shots while Poretz put all three of his attempts on frame.
- Gray Sutter and Ian Fitzgerald split time for the Tigers, making one save each.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road for its final two matches of the year. The Wasps will travel to face the Hornets of Shenandoah University on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.