SALEM, Va. – The Roanoke College Men's Soccer Team (13-1-3, 5-1-2 ODAC) scored four goals in the opening 20 minutes on its way to a 9-1 win against Emory & Henry College (6-10-2, 0-8 ODAC) Tuesday in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Roanoke 9, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – Donald J. Kerr Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-10-2, 0-8 ODAC); Roanoke (13-1-3, 5-1-2ODAC)
How It Happened
- Tim Leuenberger scored the opening three goals for the Maroons in the ninth, 10th and 14th minutes.
- Roanoke pushed the margin to 4-0 as Luca Kuettel scored on a ball from Chris Jerrild at the 15:44 mark.
- Another three goals came from RC prior to the break for a 7-0 margin as Gabriel Hendi, Philani Mlotshwa and Vincent Lamina found the back of the net.
- Emory & Henry spoiled the shutout in the 56th minute. Sophomore defender C.J. Poulsen (Roanoke, Va.) settled a loose ball off a corner served up by senior defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) and put it in the back of the net.
- Roanoke tallied two scores in the second half for the final 9-1 margin on the efforts of Anthony Wisdo.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Poulsen scored his goal on two shots while freshman defender Josh Helton (Talbott, Tenn.) put up three attempts.
- Senior goalkeeper Morgan Moser (Sweetwater, Tenn.) made 10 saves in goal despite the loss.
- With the completion of the 2019 season, this year's senior class leaves the program with best four-year win record in twenty years totaling 27 wins, just one off the 1995-98 mark of 28 victories. The group has also set season records for goals (51), points (145), goals per match (2.68) and goals against average (1.54).
- Tager finishes his career as the record-holder for matches played at 73, surpassing Tyequis Stallins' record of 72 set from 2015-18. He also now holds the career record for minutes played at (6,065), besting Jimmy Wilmouth's (2012-15) mark of 5,127. Tager has equaled the matches started record of 70 set by Chris O'Connor (2005-08) and his total of 15 career assists is third-best and places him behind E&H Hall of Famer Danny Almond (27; 1998-01) and Philip McNamara (18; 1995-96).
- Emory & Henry will now await the announcement of the 2019 All-ODAC Teams which will come following the conclusion of the league tournament.