DEMOREST, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (4-1) saw four players reach double figures in scoring as it picked up a 77-70 overtime win at Piedmont College (3-3) Thursday evening. The Wasps and Lions battled through seven ties and seven lead changes over the course of the evening.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 77, Piedmont 70 (OT)
LOCATION – Demorest, Georgia
VENUE – Cave Arena at the Johnny Mize Athletic Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-1, 0-0 ODAC); Piedmont (3-3, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- PC got out to a 14-2 lead at the 5:33 mark of the opening period and held a 25-14 advantage through 10 minutes of play. Emory & Henry stormed back in the second quarter with a 17-4 run to take a 31-29 lead and carried a 36-30 margin into the locker room.
- Returning from the break, the squads went toe-to-toe in the third with the Wasps scoring the final five points to carry a 50-44 lead into the final period.
- Piedmont completely erased the deficit and took a 64-61 lead with 48 second remaining. Trailing by a 65-63 margin, junior guard Kylea Cooper (Hickory, N.C.) hit a layup with 12 seconds to go to tie the contest at 65-all. The Lions had two opportunities to escape with the victory but the Wasps' defense held strong to force overtime.
- In the extra frame, the two teams went back and forth to a 70-all tie, but E&H scored the final seven points of the contest to escape with the 77-70 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) led all players with 25 points and 14 rebounds on 9-for-18 shooting and also posted two blocks and two steals.
- Cooper finished with 13 points and four steals while senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) had 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- Senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) went for 10 points, 10 rebounds, three assists and two steals.
Piedmont Individual Leaders
- Ashlyn Ellison had 16 points, 10 rebounds, four steals and two assists to pace the Lions while Nakiyah Washington had 14 points, eight rebounds, five steals and two assists.
- Amari Price put up 11 points, seven steals, six assists and five rebounds as Emily Wiley had nine points and four blocks off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 36 percent (27-for-75) for the game but made seven three-pointers and converted 16-of-18 (88.9%) of its free throws.
- Piedmont went 26-for-70 (37.1%) from the field with four makes from long range but struggled at the line, hitting just 14-of-28 (50%) of its free throws.
- The Wasps held a 53-44 rebounding advantage and outscored the Lions 25-14 on second-chance points.
- PC made the most of 28 E&H mistakes, and led 32-21 in points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will be at home on Saturday at 4:30 p.m., when it hosts Greensboro College.
- The contest will be the second in a doubleheader with the Wasps' men's team, who hosts Maryville (Tenn.) College at 2:00 p.m.