EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (5-1) dished-out 22 assists on 28 made baskets as it earned a 78-68 win against visiting Greensboro College (2-2) Saturday afternoon. The Wasps again saw a pair of players post double-doubles in the contest.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 78, Greensboro 68
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-1, 0-0 ODAC); Greensboro (2-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Greensboro got out to a 14-7 lead at the 6:10 mark of the opening period but Emory & Henry stormed back with a 19-1 run, including 16 straight, which covered 4:03. The Wasps would lead, 26-16, after one.
- The Pride opened the second with an 11-2 scoring spurt to cut the deficit to one (28-27) and continued the run to 22-6 as they would lead, 37-32, with 3:01 to go before the break. E&H scored the final two buckets of the half to make the score 39-38 going into the locker room.
- In the third quarter, the squads went back and forth with the Wasps leading by as many as six (50-44) with 4:59 on the clock, but the Pride closed the gap to 54-52 with 10 minutes left to play.
- After Greensboro scored the first bucket of the fourth, Emory & Henry went on a 13-3 run to take a 67-58 lead. GC scored five in a row to cut the margin to four (67-63) but the Wasps sealed the victory as senior forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) scored their final 11 points.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Williams finished with a game-high 21 points and completed the double-double with 11 rebounds while senior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) went for 19 points, 13 rebounds, four assists, four steals and three blocks to stuff the stat sheet.
- Sophomore guard Callie Haderer (Bristol, Va.) added nine points off the bench while senior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) notched eight points, seven assists and four rebounds.
Greensboro Individual Leaders
- Katie Lewis led the Pride with 19 points, seven rebounds and three assists while Ashley Free had 17 points, four boards and three assists.
- Destiny Timberlake tacked on 12 points.
A Deeper Look
- E&H shot 45.9 percent (28-for-61) for the game, making 10 three-pointers. The Wasps were extremely efficient at the line, making 12-of-15 (80%) of their free throws.
- Greensboro hit just 24-of-62 (38.7%) of its shots but made up some of the deficit behind the arc with 12 triples on the night. The Pride struggled at the line, however converting on a 53.3 percent (8-for-15) clip.
- Emory & Henry held a 40-35 rebounding advantage and outscored GC 30-10 on points in the paint. The Wasps also made the most of 19 Pride errors as they led 25-16 in points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will open Old Dominion Athletic Conference play next Sunday when it visits Washington and Lee University.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Generals will be at 5:00 p.m.