SWEET BRIAR, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (2-15-1, 2-8 ODAC) scored three times in the opening five minutes on the way to an 8-0 rout of Sweet Briar College (1-16, 0-10 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in the final Old Dominion Athletic Conference match of the season.
Senior Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) tallied a hat trick in the contest, becoming the first Wasp to accomplish the feat since Sarah Safrit scored three goals against Hollins University in 2015.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 8, Sweet Briar 0
LOCATION – Sweet Briar, Virginia
VENUE – Babcock Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-15-1, 2-8 ODAC); Sweet Briar (1-16, 0-10 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Junior forward Ashley Love (Zirconia, N.C.) put the Wasps on the board just 101 seconds into the contest as she finished to the far post from five yards out. Senior midfielder Makayla Carter (Lewisburg, W.Va.) earned the assist.
- E&H made it 2-0 at the 3:53 mark as Hogg scored from 18 yards away and scored again 59 seconds later as Carter notched an unassisted goal.
- Freshman forward Eva Hart (Ashville, N.C.) put her name on the scoresheet early in the 11th minute with a shot to the far post assisted by Love.
- In the second half, Hogg got another unassisted goal on a shot from the endline at the 51:01 mark. The Wasps scored again just after the hour (61:56) as Hart put one past the keeper from five yards out.
- Sophomore forward Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.) tacked on a goal in the 67th minute after beating a pair of defenders.
- Hogg completed the hat trick in the final minute as she took a pass from Carter and chipped it over the goalkeeper.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Hogg's hat trick came on 14 shots as she put seven on target while Carter finished with a goal and two assists.
- Hart had a pair of goals while Love notched a goal and an assist
- Senior goalkeeper Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) earned the win in net and played part of the second half in the field, notching three shots on goal.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Kaela Schlevensky (Haymarket, Va.) completed the team shutout, making a pair of saves.