EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (3-11-2, 1-7-1 ODAC) scored four first-half goals on its way to a 5-0 win over Sweet Briar College (0-14-1, 0-8 ODAC) Saturday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
The match also served as Senior Day for the Wasps who honored senior forward Graysen Barrs (Abingdon, Va.) prior to kickoff.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 5, Sweet Briar 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-11-2, 1-7-1 ODAC); Sweet Briar (0-14-1, 0-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got on the board by way of an own goal at the 17:21 mark. The Wasps doubled the margin in the 23rd minute when freshman midfielder Ashlee Jordan (Boones Mill, Va.) played a ball ahead for sophomore forward Callie McMurray (Gate City, Va.) who took a pair of touches on her way to goal.
- The Wasps made it 3-0 at the 28:11 mark as freshman midfielder Grace Williams (Earleysville, Va.) made the most of a turnover as she collected a failed clearance and blasted it past the keeper.
- With 6:55 to go before the break, Emory & Henry made the score 4-0 when freshman forward Kirstin Comer (Titusville, Va.) crossed a ball in from the left side for sophomore defender Caroline Copeland (Newport News, Va.) to one-time to the back post.
- After the break, the Wasps saw Barrs mark her Senior Day with a goal when sophomore defender Taylor Mauldin (China Grove, N.C.) played a ball into space for Barrs to go one-on-one with the goalkeeper for the score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Barrs led the way with seven shots including three on target while McMurray posted six shots on the night.
- Freshman Natalie Capone (Kannapolis, N.C.) made two saves as she earned the shutout.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the 2019 season on Tuesday when it visits Hollins University. Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m.