ROANOKE, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Soccer Team (4-11-2, 2-7-1 ODAC) closed out the season on Tuesday afternoon with a 5-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory over Hollins University (4-11, 1-8 ODAC).
Senior forward Graysen Barrs (Abingdon, Va.) made a statement in the final match of her career, netting a hat trick with the first, third and fifth goals of the match. It was the first hat trick for an E&H player since the final contest of the 2018 season when Gillian Hogg scored three times against Sweet Briar College.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 5, Hollins 0
LOCATION – Roanoke, Virginia
VENUE – Marjorie T. Berkley Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-11-2, 1-7-1 ODAC); Hollins (4-11, 1-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After a scoreless opening half-hour, Barrs put the Wasps on the board with a goal in the 33rd minute, assisted by sophomore forward Callie McMurray (Gate City, Va.).
- Just two and a half minutes later (35:23), E&H struck again as McMurray found the back of the net, for a 2-0 halftime lead.
- Coming out of the break, Emory & Henry went back on the attack quickly with Barrs notching an unassisted goal 55 seconds into the second period.
- The Wasps pushed the margin to 4-0 in the 59th minute when freshman midfielder Ronnie Garrou (Greensboro, N.C.) found freshman defender Carly Walden (Christiansburg, Va.) with a pass to set up a goal.
- Barrs capped the scoring with 7:23 left to play. This time, sophomore defender Taylor Mauldin (China Grove, N.C.) provided the assist.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Barrs posted a team-best six shots on the way to her hat trick while McMurray and freshman midfielder Ashlee Jordan (Boones Mill, Va.) had four shots each.
- Freshman Natalie Capone (Kannapolis, N.C.) earned her second shutout in as many matches as she claimed the victory in goal.
- Emory & Henry will now await the announcement of the 2019 All-ODAC Teams which will come in conjunction with the league tournament.