EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams continued their seasons on Saturday swimming against Greensboro College and Warren Wilson College. Both teams went 2-0 on the day with each of the victories coming in dominating fashion.
The meet also served as Senior Day for the Wasps who honored Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) and Jarod Bracero (Hoboken, N.J.) from the men's team and Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.), Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) and Lauren Trotter (Bristol, Va.) of the women's squad prior to the first event.
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 100, Greensboro 67
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 125, Warren Wilson 22
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 157, Greensboro 6
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 148, Warren Wilson 29
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Emory & Henry Aquatics Center
MEN'S RECORD – 4-3 (2-1 ODAC)
WOMEN'S RECORD – 4-3 (2-1 ODAC)
- The Wasps earned just four event wins on the afternoon but it was depth which propelled them to the overall wins.
- E&H went 2-3-4 in the 200-meter freestyle with freshman Ryan Spangler's (Daleville, Va.) swim of 2:19.18 good for a runner-up finish.
- Sophomore Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) won the 50-meter freestyle in :27.27 and the 100-meter freestyle (1:01.61). Emory & Henry made it a 1-2-3 finish in the 100 as freshman Jackson Cheatham (Appomattox, Va.) and Barr took the next two spots.
- Freshman Luc Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) won the 100-meter breaststroke in 1:11.04, breaking his own school record.
- The group of Spangler, sophomore Nick Moore (Lebanon, Va.), Grillet and Cheatham eanred a win in the 200-meter freestyle relay to cap the afternoon, swimming a 1:54.20.
- Emory & Henry won 10 of the 11 events, putting up four 1-2-3 finishes and adding an additional three 1-2's on the afternoon.
- Freshman Kenzie Welch (Knoxville, Tenn.) picked up wins in the 200-meter freestyle (2:25.41) and 400-meter freestyle (5:11.83) and was second in the 100-free at 1:08.36.
- Anson won the 50-free in :29.48 and the 100 in 1:04.20 while Scarbrough was first in the 100-meter butterfly (1:16.30).
- In the 800-meter freestyle, sophomore Leah Mumpower (Bristol, Va.) touched the wall first in 11:16.30 while sophomore Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C) won the 200-meter individual medley (2:47.73).
- Sophomore Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) provided the Wasps with their final individual win of the day, going 1:23.99 in the 100-meter breaststroke.
- E&H also won the 200-medley and 200-free relays in 2:31.12 and 1:54.20, respectively.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road next Saturday when it visits Roanoke College in an ODAC dual meet.