EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (6-20, 2-10 ODAC) picked up a 3-1 win over visiting North Carolina Wesleyan College (8-22, 3-11 USA South) Thursday evening. It was the Wasps' penultimate match of the season and the second of a three-game home stretch to conclude the 2018 campaign.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, North Carolina Wesleyan 1 (25-18, 25-18, 25-27, 25-12)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-20, 2-10 ODAC); North Carolina Wesleyan (8-22, 3-11 USA South)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled back and forth early to a 7-7 tie before the Battling Bishops scored four in a row to lead 11-7, forcing a Wasp timeout. E&H got on track and went on a 17-6 run to take control and roll on to a 25-18 win. Senior outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) had six kills in the set.
- Emory & Henry got out to a 7-2 lead in the second frame, but North Carolina Wesleyan responded to tie the match at 8-8. The Wasps pushed back to regain the lead and held off a 4-0 run before going on another 7-2 run for a 21-15 advantage. The Wasps cruised to a 2-0 lead in the match with a second 25-18 set win.
- Both E&H and NCWC traded runs throughout the third set. Emory & Henry found itself up 23-21, forcing a Bishop time out. N.C. Wesleyan scored three of the next four to tie the stanza at 24 and after Emory & Henry had match point at 25-24, the Battling Bishops scored three in a row to win, 27-25, and force a fourth frame.
- The Wasps and Bishops traded points early before E&H scored seven in a row to take a 16-8 lead. NCWC closed the gap to 19-12, but six straight points by Emory & Henry closed the set, 25-12, and the match, 3-1.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Holmberg led all players with 15 kills while senior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had 10 kills, 44 assists and nine digs.
- Senior right-side hitter Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) and freshman outside hitter Delaini Nagy (Clover, S.C.) had 10 kills each while freshman middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) notched six kills, three aces and three blocks.
- Senior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Tenn.) posted 25 digs while junior defensive specialist Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) had 17 digs and five aces.
North Carolina Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Callied Cline and Autumn Spence had seven kills each while Cline finished with a team-best 16 digs.
- Sydney Barnwell posted 10 assists while Devin Lassiter had 15 digs.
- Emory & Henry will close out the season on Friday evening at 7:00 p.m., when it hosts Mid-Atlantic Christian University.
- The contest will serve as Senior Night for the Wasps, who will honor their six seniors prior to the start of the match.