WILMINGTON, N.C. – The University of North Carolina Wilmington Men's Basketball Team welcomed Emory & Henry College for the final game of the inaugural "Battle for the Capital" Tuesday evening at Trask Coliseum.
The Seahawks came away with a 122-66 win over the Wasps in the contest which served as an exhibition for Emory & Henry but a regular-season game for UNCW.
FINAL SCORE – UNC Wilmington 122, Emory &Henry 66
LOCATION – Wilmington, North Carolina
VENUE – Raiford G. Trask Coliseum
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-2, 0-0 ODAC); UNC Wilmington (5-3, 0-0 CAA)
How It Happened
- The Wasps and Seahawks traded baskets for the first three minutes of the game with E&H leading, 9-7, at the 17:10 mark on a fast-break bucket by senior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.). UNC Wilmington's offense began to click as it opened up a 42-25 lead at the under-eight media timeout.
- UNCW continued to build its advantage, closing the half on a 19-3 run which covered 4:54 to take a 69-33 advantage into the locker room.
- In the second, the Seahawks pushed their margin to as much as 57 (107-50) at the 6:33 mark, but the Wasps showed their mettle with a 16-8 run over a span of 4:35. Wilmington scored the last three baskets of the contest for the final 122-66 margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore guard Micah Banks (Simpsonville, S.C.) led E&H with 12 points on 5-for-8 shooting while freshman Kevin Grau Rodriguez (Tampa, Fla.) had 11 points and four rebounds off the bench.
- Senior guard Robert Holliday, Jr. (Kansas City, Kan.) went for 10 points while sophomore guard Jordan Grant (Orlando, Fla.) tacked on nine points off the bench.
- Molden and sophomore guard Jake Martin (Wytheville, Va.) each contributed eight points.
UNC Wilmington Individual Leaders
- Seven different Seahawks reached double figures in scoring led by Mike Okauru's triple-double (12 points, 11 rebounds, 11 assists). Imajae Dodd scored a game-high 22 points with four rebounds and three assists off the bench.
- Jaylen Sims had 18 points and 12 boards for a double-double while Brent Jenkins went for 16 points on a perfect 7-for-7 shooting from the field.
A Deeper Look
- UNCW shot 70.1 percent (47-for-67) for the game with 15 three-pointers while E&H connected on 24-of-59 (40.7%) of its shots with 12 makes from long range.
- The Seahawks led, 46-18, on rebounding and 25-9 on second-chance points.
- Wilmington also took advantage of its size, outscoring Emory & Henry by a 60-16 margin in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will open Old Dominion Athletic Conference action on Saturday when it visits Shenandoah University.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Hornets will be at 2:00 p.m.