WINCHESTER, Va. – The Shenandoah University Men's Basketball Team (2-2, 1-0 ODAC) scored 63 points in the second half on its way to a 101-95 come-from-behind win over Emory & Henry College (2-3, 0-1 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in the first Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest of the season for each squad.
Senior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) led all players with 40 points despite the loss. It was the first time a Wasp has reached the 40-point plateau since Justin Call scored 41 on Feb. 7, 2004 against Eastern Mennonite University in his Jostens Trophy-winning year.
FINAL SCORE – Shenandoah 101, Emory & Henry 95
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia
VENUE – James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-3, 0-1 ODAC); Shenandoah (2-2, 1-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps and Hornets traded buckets through the opening four minutes of the game. Up 10-9, E&H scored eight in a row but SU responded to go up 23-21 with 10:59 left in the opening half.
- Down by a 32-31 score, Emory & Henry scored 13 in a row for a 44-32 lead and kept the pressure on for a 45-38 advantage at the break.
- Trailing by eight (53-45) early in the second half, the Hornets went on a 14-3 run to take a 59-56 lead. E&H responded and went punch-for-punch with SU to a 66-all tie with 9:26 to play.
- With Shenandoah leading 90-88, the Hornets closed the game on an 11-7 run, making six-of-nine free throws in the final three minutes for the 101-95 score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Molden scored his 40 points on 13-for-23 shooting with eight three-pointers. He also contributed five rebounds, three assists, a steal and a blocked shot.
- Senior guard Robert Holliday, Jr. (Kansas City, Kan.) had 25 points, four assists and two rebounds while sophomore guard Micah Banks (Simpsonville, S.C.) tallied 11 points and eight boards.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Christopher Chaney posted a double-double with 28 points and 13 rebounds while Harry Wall had 16 points, five assists and two rebounds, going 11-for-12 at the free throw line.
- Avery White put up 15 points and five boards while Jalen Hill scored 13 points and pulled down five rebounds, two assists and two steals off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory &Henry went 32-for-74 (43.2%) from the field and connected on 13 three-point shots. The Wasps were 18-for-24 (75%) at the free throw line.
- Shenandoah made 48.6 percent (34-of-70) of its shots with 10 makes from long range. The Hornets scored 23 points at the stripe shooting 63.9% (23-of-26).
- SU held a 44-41 rebounding advantage and led 42-26 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will travel to the University of the South on Tuesday for a contest with the Tigers. Tipoff will be at 5:30 p.m. Central Standard Time (6:30 p.m. EST).